Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Something New, Something Double Sponged

I'm going to tell you right off that this card is not what I intended to make.  Let me guide you to a blog where a beautiful card appears and the technique is perfected.  The technique I was trying to use to create a special panel is called  Double Sponging and is similar to the emboss/resist technique. Two wrong tries later, I came up with the technique, but not really.  Clear as mud?

I'm going to let you see how these cards are supposed to turn out by directing you to Cecilia's Cards and then to Our Daily Bread Designs.  I think my Faded Jeans Distress ink was too dark as one of the first layers.   Nevertheless, I am not unhappy about the result and will try this technique again, hopefully to better effect.  The smaller panel, on which the butterfly sits is my attempt at the new technique.

The whole card seems to have a depth that pulls the eye to the panel.and I'm entering this card in the Oozak January 2013 Challenge (Anything Goes and Pink and Bling), the Hero Arts January 2013 challenge (going with the "Try Something New" part of the challenge), the Simon Says Stamp blog challenge (Something New) and A Blog Named Hero (try a new technique).

Recipe:
Hero Arts Dots and Flowers background stamp S5213
Hero Arts Cling Butterflies (3 images) CG130
Hero Arts Glow Girl (hello!) CL650
Distress markers
Distress inks Faded Jeans, Shabby Shutters & Dusky Concord.  
Bling - green square glass gems
Ranger Stickles Glitter Glue
Sheer aqua ribbon
Cuttlebug
Spellbinders oval
Navy blue panel has gold webbing sprayed on it.  (Don't attempt spraying webbing in the wind)

8 comments:

Pajalu said...

Hi Arlene, I love your card! It looks amazing, thanks also for the links. I think I will have to give this technique a try. It looks like a lot of fun & the Wow factor is fantastic.

Dawn T said...

Despite not being what you envisaged, your card is wonderful Arlene. Love the webbing on your base layer... and had a giggle about spraying the webbing in the wind.

downrightcrafty said...

what a wonderful card I love the technique used
Hugs Kate xx

Hansi Brittain said...

Your card is lovely! It reminds me of batik fabric dying. Thank you for the link to the "how to." I will definitly try this.

Lisette Morris said...

Must give this technique a try! Lovely work! Thanks for joining us at Oozak challenges.

Karin Åkesdotter said...

WOW!!! This is soo BEAUTIFUL!!! Wonderful design and colors!

Kristen said...

Love the colors, it's quite pretty and funny how you described it ;)

xo, Kristina
Visitina from ABNH Challenge
Hope you can visit me too <3
www.pearlgateway.com

debby4000 said...

Oh I love your gorgeous card, beautiful butterfly.
Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp challenge.
luv
Debby